[osis-core] <hi> types

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:46:39 -0600

Patrick and Chris,

When it comes to encoding texts that are older, I agree with both of you
regarding markup of the presentation related information.

My thinking is that the presentation related information would be
included in ADDITION to how the text would have been marked up in the
absence of OSIS elements to represent presentation related information.

I am concerned that encoders using would use the presentation related
elements RATHER THAN other elements.  (Ex <hi type='smallCaps'>Lord</hi>
rather than <divineName type='yhwh'>Lord</divineName>, etc...)

I do see a need for <hi> in non-Biblical texts.  If as Chris suggests we
use <hi> to encode meaning and not presentation we will be better off.
I would like to say away from type values of bold, italics, etc... in
favor of strongEmphasis, emphasis, etc...  I don't have a good
suggestions for a comprehensive set of a type values.

Along the same lines we may want to think about the fact that a single
<hi> element may need to carry the meaning ascribed by more than one
type value.  Do we provide only a single type value, provide more than
one attribute on <hi>, or do we allow the type attribute on <hi> to be a
list?  Thoughts?

If we are in consensus related to add a <hi> element does it make sense
to create an internal schema release that adds in <hi> for use in
encoding the sample documents?

<hi>