[osis-core] quotes

Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:03:07 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Hey Patrick.  Good to hear from you!
>
> OK, a few things....
>
> First, when perusing the xsd, I found the following statement.  Looks
> like it might be a holdover from the previous idea of segID.

> to allow retrieval of the entire quotation.</p>

Probably, I will check. May need to do a "bug" release with fixes to prose.

> Second,  I thought we added a 'level' attribute to quote, but I don't
> see it.

Not that I recall but I will check the archives.

>> Apparently the Gideons made it to my dentist office at some time in
>> the past and left a KJV edition of the Bible. I remembered the
>> passage clearly enough to check the markup and found none.
>

> Hope your teeth are well!
> Yeah, KJV tends to leave lot's of 'markup' out.  I think I've even
> seen editions with NO quote marks anywhere.
>

>> Is that your experience with other translations? (Does not answer
>> your question about the NKJV but thought it was worth mentioning.)
>

> Well, not sure what others do with this passage, but I think the
> answer to what you might be hinting at is, "I think we still want to
> support this type structure".

Sorry, too tired to be "hinting." Was just an observation that a
particular edition was about as far from your example as I can imagine.
Just a curious happenstance that the one at the dentist office was that way.

Was just a regular cleaning, but had not been for over 2 years so fairly
extensive cleaning. Now have an electronic toothbrush that has a "sonic"
head on it. Bad thing is that it tickles my tongue! ;-) Really hard to
keep still for that!

>> Not unsympathetic to the continuation type for quote, but curious why
>> you are not using milestone_Start and milestone_End, which were meant
>> (as I recall, caution, may be convenient memory) were designed for
>> this sort of case. You could use type to carry quote-L2 or quote-L3
>> or some such to indicate the quote level.
>

> OK, so let me get this right.  We DID allow empty quotes?  So, we can
> do something like:
>
> <q milestone_Start="someUniqueID27" />
> This is my quote,
> <q milestone_End="someUniqueID27" />
> said Troy.
>
> ??  I thought I didn't get that in this version!  That's cool if we
> did (save the verbosity of the attribute name :) ).

Well, as we discussed before, all elements that do not have required
content, can be written as empty elements. Not sure that is a good
solution here. Technically possible but not sure it would be
consistently followed.

We do have milestone_Start and milestone_End which allow you to reach
the same effect without having a container. Just link the two together
and you have the multiple layers of quotes that cross other boundaries.

ARRRGH! Is the problem the "indication" of a continuation quote in the
printed edition by some typographic convention? That may be what I as
missing. In other words, it is not a problem of the quote crossing the
boundaries but the publisher wanting to typographically indicate that
the quote was not omitted at the end of the previous verse, paragraph,
whatever but continues at the same level here?

>> Or am I missing something really obvious? (Caution, I may well be. I
>> am very tired and there is no extended rest in sight. May try to blow
>> off the coming weekend just to get caught up before the next big push.)
>

> Well, I'm still not sure how you mean to do the continuation quote.
> Could you give me an example?  In the following OSIS document excerpt,
> convert the " to a continuation element, for 20 points":
>
> <q>
> This is my quote.  It is very long and I'm about to start a new
> paragraph.
> "This is a new paragraph preceded with a continuation quote.
> </q>,
> said Troy.

OK,  what is the continuation quote? If typographic indication of
continued quote:

milestone_SE="Troy_1"/>a long exciting quote from Troy that goes on and
on, and finally he takes a breath</p>
paragraphs and his brilliance ended here.<milestone_End type="quote"
milestone_SE="Troy_1"/> and I made additional boring comments.</p>

Thus, I can treat the linked milestones as a container or as signing
some indication of quotation marks and if desired, I can also insert a
continuation marker into the text if that is a requirement for
presentation.

(Do I get 20 points? Probably shouldn't because this particular problem
was identified and solved in TEI about a decade ago and I am only
repeating someone else's solution. Same class as page, column and line
breaks in manuscripts.)

Advantage to this approach is that I can also ignore the continuation
marker if another publisher follows the same quotation tradition but
does not use a continuation marker.

Am I any closer to understanding? Am trying to finish a couple of major
distractions or at least get them to be someone else's distractions for
a while so I can get back in to the OSIS syntax in a major sort of way.

> I'd like to talk about the Toronto training.  I'm looking around for
> cheap airfare now.  I'll let ya know if I find any good deals.  Any
> word from your friend about XLSTs for OSIS?

Will you be on the call this morning? I need to ask about the money but
it is really just a matter of writing up the requirements. Have the
person lined up.

Patrick