[osis-core] quotes

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:25:15 -0700

Hey Patrick.  Good to hear from you!

OK, a few things....

First, when perusing the xsd, I found the following statement.  Looks
like it might be a holdover from the previous idea of segID.

allow retrieval of the entire quotation.</p>

Second,  I thought we added a 'level' attribute to quote, but I don't
see it.

> Apparently the Gideons made it to my dentist office at some time in the
> past and left a KJV edition of the Bible. I remembered the passage
> clearly enough to check the markup and found none.

Hope your teeth are well!
Yeah, KJV tends to leave lot's of 'markup' out.  I think I've even seen
editions with NO quote marks anywhere.

> Is that your experience with other translations? (Does not answer your
> question about the NKJV but thought it was worth mentioning.)

Well, not sure what others do with this passage, but I think the answer
to what you might be hinting at is, "I think we still want to support
this type structure".

> Not unsympathetic to the continuation type for quote, but curious why
> you are not using milestone_Start and milestone_End, which were meant
> (as I recall, caution, may be convenient memory) were designed for this
> sort of case. You could use type to carry quote-L2 or quote-L3 or some
> such to indicate the quote level.

OK, so let me get this right.  We DID allow empty quotes?  So, we can do
something like:

<q milestone_Start="someUniqueID27" />
This is my quote,
<q milestone_End="someUniqueID27" />
said Troy.

??  I thought I didn't get that in this version!  That's cool if we did
(save the verbosity of the attribute name :) ).

> Or am I missing something really obvious? (Caution, I may well be. I am
> very tired and there is no extended rest in sight. May try to blow off
> the coming weekend just to get caught up before the next big push.)

Well, I'm still not sure how you mean to do the continuation quote.
Could you give me an example?  In the following OSIS document excerpt,
convert the " to a continuation element, for 20 points":

<q>
This is my quote.  It is very long and I'm about to start a new paragraph.
"This is a new paragraph preceded with a continuation quote.
</q>,
said Troy.

I'd like to talk about the Toronto training.  I'm looking around for
cheap airfare now.  I'll let ya know if I find any good deals.  Any word
from your friend about XLSTs for OSIS?

	-Troy.