[osis-core] quotes

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:56:29 -0600

I am interested to hear what others have to say about the "continuation
quotation mark" being a presentation issue vs. an authorship issue.  (You
already heard my opinion.)

Question:  Are there known cases in printed versions where the same
translation is rendered differently?

After encoding a few things, I am of the mind to recommend using milestones
for ALL quotes other than short/simple quotes.  As a result I would be
infavor of adding back in a special milestone specifically for quotes.
Thoughts?

A little more below.

Todd

> I'm impressed with your encoding, BUT....
>
> For this example, I would still rather use milestones.  And for the code
> I'm writing that tries to turn "'` into <q> tags, I'm tempted to ALWAYS
> use milestones, so as not to worry about crossing other boundaries.
>
> Regarding my real immediate question though... I explicitly stated in my
> first email (because I KNEW YOU SPECIFICALLY would recommend
> segmentation :) ) that I didn't think segmentation was a good mechanism,
> and I tried to state a very easily confused concept that SHOULD BE
> DRASTICALLY kept separate-- in my mind, at least.  To quote:
>

>  >>1) Segmentation should not be the suggested mechanism do this.
>  >>Segmentation is for CODING PROBLEMS of hierarchy and constitute ONE
>  >>LOGICAL element, when reconstructed programmatically.  This is a very
>  >>different thing than actual content segmentation symbols intended for
>  >>the reader.

I agree that the splitID should NOT be encoded for this purpose of
identifiying paragraphs.  Only because it is consistently there for other
reasons do I suggest it be used to identify quotes that are split across
multiple paragraphs.