[osis-core] quotes

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:25:15 -0700

> Question:  Are there known cases in printed versions where the same
> translation is rendered differently?

Good question.  It would definitely tell us if one publisher felt it was
their right to add continuation quotes to a book.

I still find it hard to believe if a Tozer or Lewis submitted a work to
be printed, that the publisher would find it their duty to add
continuation quotes to the work.  An editor maybe, and probably approved
by the author.

> After encoding a few things, I am of the mind to recommend using milestones
> for ALL quotes other than short/simple quotes.  As a result I would be
> infavor of adding back in a special milestone specifically for quotes.
> Thoughts?

I'm pretty much with you on this one.  I still like our proposal to
allow a few legal empty tags to act as milestones.  Last incarnation:

<q mStart="uniqueID1" />stuff<q mEnd="uniqueID1" />

<q> seems to be an easy exception to the objection of special parsing
for these.  A dumb XSL could merely replace all <q> tags with "  (or
consider the 'level' attribute to determine a more proper character).

I don't know where we stand regarding the ability to augment the
specification in our current chronology.

Any ideas, gents?

	-Troy.