[osis-core] Re: Open source XML editor....

Kirk Lowery osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 08 May 2002 08:22:51 -0400

Patrick,

I've been following up on my original suggestion.
<http://xml.openoffice.org/> has all the information one needs to write
an import/export filter, with examples for conversion from the OOo
Writer to HTML. That model can certainly be followed, and all the user
sees are style sheets and an import/export menu item. Recompiling a
special version of Writer does not seem to be necessary. As proof of
concept, there are a number of developers at the Linux Documentation
Project who are adding DocBook functionality to OpenOffice.org and from
the developer's list I can see that they are about 75% of the way there.
If they can do it with that complex DTD, OSIS can also do it.

The only thing I haven't quite figured out is how one enforces the OSIS
(or any) content model (not allowing the user to insert illegal
elements, etc.) inside Writer.

I strongly urge OSIS to consider OpenOffice.org instead of creating its
own authoring tool, because then one has the enormous functionality of a
full-featured wordprocessor. In addition, if an organization or
individual already knows and uses the OpenOffice suite, then the
learning curve is about zero for the user.

[OpenOffice.org office suite uses XML as its native file format, and
includes hooks for alien DTDs, and is Open Source to boot.]

My $0.02

Kirk

P.S. My suggestion is responding to the request of the Rome conferees
for a WYSIWYG OSIS authoring tool. If one is doing XML development, that
another matter....

--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute