[osis-core] Milestone pairs?

Tue, 07 May 2002 21:04:49 -0400

Steve,

Steven DeRose wrote:

> At 05:24 PM -0400 05/07/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> In one of your earlier notes today you mentioned milestone pairs. If
>> I am remembering Rome completely incorrectly please point that out
>> but I thought it was agreed that we could drop the milestone pairs in
>> favor of using segmentation, or at least that is what I thought was
>> said and it works just as well. Added benefit is that we use standard
>> containers and need only next/prev attributes where we cross
>> boundaries, which are the minority of cases.
>>
>> Did I just zone out on that discussion? I am asking on the core list
>> as Troy raised the same issue earlier and I may possibly not be
>> remembering the discussion correctly.
>

> We definitely discussed that, and I was in favor of that; I just
> wasn't sure I had convinced enough people. It does seem like a
> significantly better solution to me -- sure makes formatting via MSL
> or CSS easier, since there's something to grab; and should make
> teaching easier, since we won't have to explain the oddball syntax of
> milestone pairs, and how the are only containers in OSIS, not in XML....

Glad I was not just imaging it. ;-)

> my only hesitation is the lateness of the change....

Yes, but the same could be said of <abbr>, <mentioned> and the
reformulation of notes to nest (as opposed to notePart) and several
other changes.

I will try to post a minimal document, just using the required elments,
say the first chapter of Matthew tomorrow, along with a corrected schema
that fixes the camel casing on element names and some of the duplicate
element names (yes, there are two).

If I can squeeze out the time, I will also post documentation sans the
space filling diagrams and try to do a better content model on verses.

If you have the time, can you post the reference syntax?