[osis-core] Post-Rome questions

Tue, 7 May 2002 22:57:10 -0700

I'm still absorbing all the revisions, but here are a few questions I
have so far:

1) Now that 1.0 is completed, can we add the emph element & rend
attribute?  Pretty please?

2) What is ews?  Is this essentially a character encoding identifier for
people not using Unicode?  Or is this for indicating script when
multiple scripts may be used for a single language (e.g. Latin/Cyrillic
for Serbo-Croatian)?  Or....?

3) Do we really need the "amplified" value for transChangeOSIS?  This
seems to be exclusively for use on the Amplified Bible, but I wouldn't
use it if I were encoding that translation.  Amp has 4 types of text
with distinguished markup: italicized words indicating added words
(transChangeOSIS added), bracketed verse cross-references (notesOSIS
citation), bracketed words/phrases for clarification (notesOSIS
explanation or transChangeOSIS added depending on the specific
occurrence), and parenthesized words/phrases to indicate shades of
meaning.  This final type is the "amplified" part and would (IMO) best
be marked with notesOSIS explanation or optionally a new amplified note
type.  But since the "amplified" text is not part of the text proper, it
should definitely be put into a note element of some type rather than a
transChange element.

4) In some instances, passages that would have been marked by the
otPassage and ntProphecy elements refer to multiple non-continguous
verses.  Is it possible to allow the reference element's target
attribute to take multiple IDs?  Similarly, many existing texts do no
include information about which verses are being referenced, so can we
either allow target to be empty or optional to make automatic
translation from other formats possible?

5) Many existing texts in other formats do not specify note types.
Indeed, most Bibles don't have any distinction between different types
of notes.  So could the type attribute on note be made optional?

--Chris