[osis-core] Milestone pairs?

Steven DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 20:42:57 -0400

At 05:24 PM -0400 05/07/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>Steve,
>
>In one of your earlier notes today you mentioned milestone pairs. If
>I am remembering Rome completely incorrectly please point that out
>but I thought it was agreed that we could drop the milestone pairs
>in favor of using segmentation, or at least that is what I thought
>was said and it works just as well. Added benefit is that we use
>standard containers and need only next/prev attributes where we
>cross boundaries, which are the minority of cases.
>
>Did I just zone out on that discussion? I am asking on the core list
>as Troy raised the same issue earlier and I may possibly not be
>remembering the discussion correctly.

We definitely discussed that, and I was in favor of that; I just
wasn't sure I had convinced enough people. It does seem like a
significantly better solution to me -- sure makes formatting via MSL
or CSS easier, since there's something to grab; and should make
teaching easier, since we won't have to explain the oddball syntax of
milestone pairs, and how the are only containers in OSIS, not in
XML....

my only hesitation is the lateness of the change....

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net