[osis-core] empty tag / milestone proposal

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:58:14 -0400

One good reason for marking up quotes with <q>...</q>
is that different symbols are used for opening and
closing quotes in different languages. If I want to
render a Greek NT for Spanish or English readers, I
might do quotes different ways. (Why I'm not just using
Greek quotes I don't know.)

Using &quot; specifies a particular glyph, and changing
that to something else seems messy.

Another benefit of the <q mStart=""/> <q mEnd=""/> approach
is that OSIS-level-2-conformant (or whatever, as Steve
suggested) software WOULD be able to treat the quote as
a container.

Maybe this can be a general rule. In OSIS-level-1 conformant
software <element mStart=""/> has the semantics of an
empty tag; in OSIS-level-2 conformant software it's a container.

So here's a general proposal.

We offer the current DTD. The semantics are that in OSIS-level-1
conformant processing software, empty tags are empty tags. In
OSIS-level-2 conformant processing software, milestones and empty
<verse> <q> etc tags can be container start and end tags.

-Harry