[osis-core] empty tag / milestone proposal

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:20:24 -0400

Harry,

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>So here's a general proposal.
>
>We offer the current DTD. The semantics are that in OSIS-level-1
>conformant processing software, empty tags are empty tags. In
>OSIS-level-2 conformant processing software, milestones and empty
><verse> <q> etc tags can be container start and end tags.

OK, so I need to add mStart and mEnd attributes back into the schema,
for which elements?

<q>, <verse>, .... ?

And do we document the semantics for OSIS-level-1 in the documentation
or attempt to put it in syntax?

OR:

Not sure why I can use <milestone type="q" /> in the current syntax and
then if I want to treat linked milestones as containers (in other words,
not depend upon default order in the text) for OSIS-level-2 processing,
that is certainly an option.

Alternative General Proposal:

Use generic <milestone type="element"/> to indicate a milestone of a
particular type, such as <q> or <verse> with a next= attribute to link
it to the milestone that may be treated as the other end of a container
for OSIS-level-2 processing. The second milestone should have a matching
type and prev= attribute.

Patrick