[osis-core] empty tag / milestone proposal

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:01:39 -0400

Harry,

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>Hey, here's an idea that will eliminate a large percentage of
>the hierarchy overlap problems that have been identified so far.
>Don't use <q>, just use ".
>
>Just kidding.  The real proposal is to not treat <q> as a container.
>(Does one ever really need it to be a container?)  Use <qstart>
>processing software to treat that as a container.  Just use it
>to put in the appropriate " symbols.

Realize you were kidding about " but why not suggest the entities &quot;
and &apos; which are pre-defined for XML? If what you are seriously
suggesting is markup to stand in for symbols, <q mStart=" "/>, the
entity route gets you there without tormenting markup. ;-)

Patrick