[osis-core] <header>

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:18:19 -0400

At 12:29 PM -0400 06/17/02, Harry Plantinga wrote:
>I like the OSIS header. The ThML header is pretty ugly. But in
>OSIS, where would I put notes about the editorial practices that
>have been followed?  Information on publication history?  I
>guess I could use
>
><description type="Publication History">
><description type="Editorial Comments">
><description type="Work Needed">
>
>but maybe a <comment> element would make sense.

I'd be more inclined to include a slot where we could drop in a
fairly full TEI header, or parts as needed. Then that would come
under encodingDesc and revDesc. Perhaps we could define such a slot
and just refer to TEI for now? Something like

"Projects commonly wish to record informatino about their editorial
goals and practices, the history of the electronic text, lists of
persons and places named in the text, and other information. In such
cases OSIS recommends inserting a TEI header as the first div, and
drawing on the extensive metadata markup provided by the TEI. A later
revision of this specification will likely provide more detailed
metadata definitions, particularly for the declaration and use of
normalized person, place, work, and other names."

Or some such (can we say "punt"? I knew we could...)

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net