[osis-core] OSIS 2.0?

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:59:25 -0400

Harry,

Just a quick note as I press on to today's release! ;-)

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>Looking through an NIV Study Bible, I found the
>following which would be hard to model in OSIS 1.1:
>
>  - Tables

Added today.

>  - Images

Figure already present, was there something else we need?

>  - Vector graphics (SVG?)

Definitely in the future, I am hopeful that TEI will abandon its
graph/tree language in favor of SVG which will allow standard (future)
browsers to render graphs and trees in TEI markup without separate
processing.

>  - Indexes (i.e. mark words, paragraphs, or
>    whatever so that indexes can be constructed)

Hmmm, interesting question. I assume to construct indexes from terms so
marked to avoid auto-generation? In other words, the encoder marks what
they feel are the important occcurrences of a term and ignore the rest?

>  - A glossary

How does a glossary differ from a list?

>Thinking about electronic bibles that I have seen
>and/or can imagine, I think the following may be
>desirable to support in a future version of OSIS
>as well:

Yes to all the following!

>  - objects: audio, video, vrml, other media types
>  - applets (dollars-to-shekels calculator)
>  - scripting languages

Patrick