[osis-core] open issues

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 01:39:03 -0700

> Gets to contents of verse 2 in what sense?

If I need to display the contents of verse 2 in the TEV in parallel in
my software next to the contents of verse 2 in the NIV.

> This is no more complicated than milestones to navigate and is easier to
> create.

so which do you think is more complicated?

Using partial milestones, (I'd like to see it without quote milestones!):

<verse verseID="1">Then God said, <qStart qID="1" level="1"/>Say to my
people: <qStart qID="1" level="2"/>Thus says the LORD, <qStart qID="1"
level="3"/>Repent! </verse>
<verse verseID="2" next="2@word:5(How)">You backsliding markup
authors.<qEnd qID="1" level="3"/></verse>
<verse verseID="2@word:5(How)" prev="2">How often have I desired to give
you a good markup. </verse>
<verse verseID="3">But you were unwilling.</verse>

Using all milestones:

<verse verseID="1" mStart="1" />Then God said, <q mStart="1" />Say to my
people: <q mStart="2" />Thus says the LORD, <q mStart="3"/>Repent!
<verse mEnd="1" />
<verse verseID="2" mStart="2" />You backsliding markup authors.<q
mEnd="3" /><p mStart="p2" />How often have I desired to give you a good
markup. <verse mEnd="2" />
<verse verseID="3" mStart="3" />But you were unwilling.<verse mEnd="3" />

Using all milestones reduces the verse 2 segmentation, above.  Using NO
milestones would increase your tag count considerably.

Again, question arrises when we start adding new OSIS modules.  What if
I want to mark a section of that scripture with authories and a variant:

<crit auth="Aleph|B|P22" mStart="c1" /> <crit mEnd="c1" /> is easy with
milestones.  Adds tons more complexity with segmentation.

Honestly, I think we need an XSLT expert to tell us which is harder to
deal with.  From a user standpoint, I know it's easier to add 2
milestones and not worry about what boundaries I cross.