[osis-core] open issues

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:58:46 -0400

At 03:47 PM -0500 06/05/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>Is there an end to the quote that starts with "Thus".
>
>If I got your example correctly how about the following seem to you.
>	<verse verseID="1">Then God said, <qStart qID="1" level="1"/>Say to my
>people: <qStart qID="1" level="2"/>Thus says the LORD, <qStart qID="1"
>level="3"/>Repent! </verse>
>	<verse verseID="2" next="2@word:5(How)">You backsliding markup
>authors.<qEnd qID="1" level="3"/></verse>
>	<verse verseID="2@word:5(How)" prev="2">How often have I
>desired to give
>you a good markup. </verse>
>	<verse verseID="3">But you were unwilling.</verse>
>
>The example you give seems to support the notion that if quotes are treated
>using milestones that other overlapping hierarchies are fairly easy to
>support with segmentation assuming you do the trick with the "role" for
>verse like behavior.  (Still no milestones for verses.)
>
>Thoughts?

Hmmmm. Are you saying that if we made *just* q (and maybe blockquote)
milestones, we'd save most cases? That would be a plus. But.... oh. I
just got it. you can't segment the verse without segmenting it into 4
parts so as to step your way all the way down the 3-deep quotes.
Gross. And then doing the same thing to restore to the right state in
vs. 2. Gak...

	<verse verseID="1">Then God said, <q>Say to my

Ick. what % of such grody cases do you think milestone Q and BQ take care of?

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net