[osis-core] open issues

Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:13:45 -0500

Gets to contents of verse 2 in what sense?

If creating a pure book->chapter->verse transformation if would put an
if condition testing for the presence of a next attribute.  If present I
would call a match based on an element with an attribute verseID that
matches the value of the next attribute.

This sort of thing would be about the same regardless of the approach
for the markup.

The alternative that was rejected months ago is the approach of having
the basic text held in a single simple hierarchy.  Then have alternate
hierarchies exist that point to places in the central hierarchy.

The alternate hierarchies could be held near to top of the tree or in a
separate document.

This is no more complicated than milestones to navigate and is easier to
create.

if
> phrase
> linquistic annotation or critical markup are the problem in the
future.
>   You solution to make the problem tag a milestone is good, and is, in
> theory, exactly what I'm suggesting, only allow any tag to become a
> milestone, if necessary.
>
> 	2)  Write me something that easily gives me the contents of
verse 2.
> Segmentation seems complex to achieve a goal I've yet to understand.
>

> SIDENOTE: why do we have next/prev?  Are we assuming that segments may
> be out of order?
>

> Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> > Is there an end to the quote that starts with "Thus".
> >
> > If I got your example correctly how about the following seem to you.
> > 	<verse verseID="1">Then God said, <qStart qID="1" level="1"/>Say
> my
> > people: <qStart qID="1" level="2"/>Thus says the LORD, <qStart
qID="1"
> > level="3"/>Repent! </verse>
> > 	<verse verseID="2" next="2@word:5(How)">You backsliding markup
> > authors.<qEnd qID="1" level="3"/></verse>
> > 	<verse verseID="2@word:5(How)" prev="2">How often have I desired
> give
> > you a good markup. </verse>
> > 	<verse verseID="3">But you were unwilling.</verse>
> >
> > The example you give seems to support the notion that if quotes are
> treated
> > using milestones that other overlapping hierarchies are fairly easy
> > support with segmentation assuming you do the trick with the "role"
for
> > verse like behavior.  (Still no milestones for verses.)
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Todd

2.