[osis-core] open issues

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:30:17 -0700

Not sure if anyone knows or cares, but most all of my issues brought up
in my last messages are still on the table:

archive, if anyone needs the old messages:

http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/cgi-bin/lwgate/OSIS-CORE%40BIBLETECHNOLOGIESWG.ORG/archives/

Not wanting to be a wrench in the works, but I still feel our gears are
turning fast down a wrong path.

Specifically: segmentation isn't elegant and we can't anticipate all
overlapping cases.  Try a few verses from a Prophetic text (e.g. Ez
39:1-) e.g (not from Ez).

1. Then God said, "Say to my people: 'Thus says the LORD, "Repent! 2.
You backsliding markup authors."
	How often have I desired to give you a good markup. 3. But you were
unwilling.

Try to add phrase level annotation, critical markup and other tags to
that and you have no hope of a human understanding or getting it right,
muchless our schema to allow such things.  Anything can be forced to
work.  I just don't see why our milestone approach wasn't about 3000x
more elegant.

Or even my unanswered suggestion of a having all tags allowed to be used
2 ways with a global 'milestone' attribute (kindof like Todd is
suggesting with roles, but not exactly).

global attributes mStart and mEnd

That would allow 2 types of markup.  All tags to either be used as:

XML Container:
<verse ID="Gen.1.1">In the beginning</verse>

or

XML Milestone / Logical Container
<verse ID="Gen.1.1" mStart="uniqueID1" />In the beginning<verse
mEnd="uniqueID1" />