[osis-core] Proposed works syntax

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:24:43 -0700

> I have a <work workID="lxx"> defined in the header. Inside that work
> element I want to specify that this is any bible version that uses a
> standardized
> osisID scheme called "bible.lxx".  I don't care what edition, etc.  So,
> maybe
> I would have
>
> <work workID="lxx">
>   <osisIDScheme>bible.lxx</osisIDScheme>  -- or some other element name
> </work>
>
> I.e. what I am trying to do is to tie a workID to a particular osisID
> scheme,
> not to a particular author/title/edition.  Think of this as a general way of
> handling the version problem.
>
> Translate as needed of osisWork and osisID are separate attributes.

So this allows the work entries to be either simple, general
versification schemes, OR actual documents?  I think I like this.  So
you could have something similar to:

<work workID="NIV">
   <osisIDScheme>bible.french</osisIDScheme>
   <identifier>NIV</identifier>
</work>

Then:

<reference osisRef="niv:Ps.41.3">

would specify that I WANT to reference the NIV Bible using my french
versifications scheme that I (as a theoretical French Pastor) have no
clue that the English has descrepencies in it's versification for the
Psalms.

I like this.
I would still vote for a defaulted 'osisIDScheme' somewhere in osisText
or higher.

I would think that when writing a commentary, one popular case would be
to continue to use the reference scheme one was comfortable with, even
though he might reference many actual works.

	-Troy.