[osis-core] Proposed works syntax

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:00:21 -0400

> >"I want any edition of the bible.lxx" where bible.lxx is one of those
> >standardized osisID schemes we've discussed. Do I have to know a title,
> >publisher, author to fill in?  Or is there somewhere that I can use
> >a generic osisID scheme name such as bible.lxx, which is defined outside
> >this document?
> >
> >What were the other fancy kinds of bible version specifications from
> >Rome that I recall someone enumerating on this list some time ago. How
> >woudl they work?  E.g. suppose I want a bible (any bible) in American
> >English. I suppose I would use <language>en-us</language> but where
> >to I say "a bible, any bible"?
> >
> Are you saying that I should be able to say (not in syntax but hopefully
> clear)
>
> osisRef - give me Matt.1.1 but only from any English translation? or
> from a particular translation?
>
> Wouldn't that be defined in the header (with some improvements) as I
> have suggested? In other words, if you have in the header:
>
> <work osisWork="bible.nrsva">etc.
>
> osisRef="Matt.1.1" (assuming work defaults from an attribute on
> osisText) mean any Matt.1.1 that is using bible.nrsva as a reference
system.

> If you wanted to specify that your references are to a particular edition:
>
> <work osisWork="bible.nrsva.niv">etc.
>
> osisRef="Matt.1.1" is defaulting to pointing only at an NIV translation,
> although the software could fall back to some other NRSVA edition

Here's what I want to do.  I've got the Imitation of Christ, which has many
scripture references, to the LXX edition.  I want to use

<reference osisRef="lxx:Ps.41.3">

I have a <work workID="lxx"> defined in the header. Inside that work
element I want to specify that this is any bible version that uses a
standardized
osisID scheme called "bible.lxx".  I don't care what edition, etc.  So,
maybe
I would have

<work workID="lxx">
  <osisIDScheme>bible.lxx</osisIDScheme>  -- or some other element name
</work>

I.e. what I am trying to do is to tie a workID to a particular osisID
scheme,
not to a particular author/title/edition.  Think of this as a general way of
handling the version problem.

Translate as needed of osisWork and osisID are separate attributes.

-Harry