[osis-core] Proposed works syntax: work identifier

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:51:22 -0400

Patrick,

Is the the "work identifier" an internal ID only, or does it have some
relation to the outer world?  E.g. if I want to mark up a passage as a
reference to Ps. 41 in the LXX, could I say

<work workID="ralph">[elements identifying an LXX edition of the bible, or
simply the bible.lxx]</work>
<reference osisRef="ralph:Ps.41.3">

Or does the work identifier have some external significance, validation in
the
Scheme, etc?

Option A: Work identifier is merely an internal ID. You can use whatever
you want, whatever you put into the <work> element. The work is identified
externally (author, title, osisIDScheme, ISBN, whatever) in the <work>
element.

Option B:  The work identifier is from a standard set, either encoded into
the schema with an x-extension mechanism, or defined on the
bibletechnologies.org
website, or whatever.

I was thinking of option A.

Option B would result in lots of extra typing:  I might have to write
something
like <div osisID="x-augustine_confessions.pusey:III.iv.5"> instead of

Also, Option B would mean encoding a whole bunch of bible versions into
the schema, which doesn't seem practical. You'd have to know in advance
the relevant bible versions or update the scheme regularly.