[osis-core] Proposed works syntax

Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:17:42 -0400

Harry,

I am working on a somewhat longer post to try to summarize some of these
issues but wanted to be sure I understood what you are proposing.

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>>Seriously, the purpose of <work> is to allow an osisWork attribute to
>>reference a value, much like castList allows a reference to
>>particular role.
>>
>>What I was trying to say was:
>>
>><verse work="bible.lxx" osisID="some reference in LXX">blah, blah</verse>
>>

>I thought we were considering a collapsing that to a single attribute,
>with an optional namespace-like prefix for teh work identifier, like this:
>
><verse osisID="bible.lxx:someReference"> ??

I think it is doable, but note that while we can specify values for the
work portion, validation is not a possibility if you want to use datatypes.

Reason? If you want to say, bible.lxx:, bible.nrsva: are OK plus
Book.chapter.verse, you have to use the patterns in XML schema. That
means that you can't call another set of values, like an enumerated list
that a user could extend, to be part of the pattern expression.

If validation of the syntax is limited to its form (in other words, not
content) then what you suggest (which I think is the latest suggestion)
is certainly possible.

>than <identifier type="ISBN"> etc, but either is OK with me. I was
>just concerned that people would use identifier types inconsistently.
>Maybe we should specify a few and use the x-extension syntax.

Would not be a problem to put together. Will take a look around and
suggested types are welcome.

>>So what I am trying to do is provide a way to specify what is meant by
>>"bible.lxx" when it appears as a attribute in <work>. Would this not
>>give us a way in the initial release to specify several bible.***
>>systems of reference? Or any others for that matter? (Extending your
>>suggestion and may be way off base so please correct.)
>>

>What I'm not sure about is how you would use the above system to say:
>
>"I want an american english version of the KJV" -- where do you say
>that it shoudl be a generic "bible"?

In the header there is a language element is where I would specify
language (as well as an optional lang attribute on elements).

>"I want any edition of the bible.lxx" where bible.lxx is one of those
>standardized osisID schemes we've discussed. Do I have to know a title,
>publisher, author to fill in?  Or is there somewhere that I can use
>a generic osisID scheme name such as bible.lxx, which is defined outside
>this document?
>
>What were the other fancy kinds of bible version specifications from
>Rome that I recall someone enumerating on this list some time ago. How
>woudl they work?  E.g. suppose I want a bible (any bible) in American
>English. I suppose I would use <language>en-us</language> but where
>to I say "a bible, any bible"?

Are you saying that I should be able to say (not in syntax but hopefully
clear)

osisRef - give me Matt.1.1 but only from any English translation? or
from a particular translation?

Wouldn't that be defined in the header (with some improvements) as I
have suggested? In other words, if you have in the header:

<work osisWork="bible.nrsva">etc.

osisRef="Matt.1.1" (assuming work defaults from an attribute on
osisText) mean any Matt.1.1 that is using bible.nrsva as a reference system.

If you wanted to specify that your references are to a particular edition:

<work osisWork="bible.nrsva.niv">etc.

osisRef="Matt.1.1" is defaulting to pointing only at an NIV translation,
although the software could fall back to some other NRSVA edition

Or even to a particular language:

<work osisWork="bible.nrsva.niv.spanish:>etc.

I think the problem is and one of the reason I suggested splitting up
most of this into attributes is what happens if someone wants to skip
part of the expression? I don't care about NSRVA or NIV but want
bible.spanish as my osisWork. Not unreasonable but virtually impossible
to validate with datatyping.

Now, if we abandon datatyping altogether, user has an example syntax and
if they follow it, other OSIS applications will be able to find their
materials, don't follow and it won't,   then that is an entirely
different story.

Maybe the problem is that I keep seeing it as a datatyping problem.

>I think we need some way of tying a <work> to a pre-defined osisID
>scheme. That was the purpose of my proposed additional attribute to
>specify an externally defined osisID scheme such as bible.lxx or
>josephus or augustine_confessions.pusey

No problem with referencing an outside scheme.

 From an earlier post you made today:

<work refWork="LXX"><osisWork>bible.lxx</osisWork></work> would give us a
way of saying "I want to use the osisID scheme of bible.lxx" without
identifying a title, author, publisher, etc.

I think what is also unclear to me is why user's should be able to or
able to avoid doing author/title/publisher/etc.?

Either they want to specify a reference system (some of which will be
predefined with that sort of information) or not. If someone is going
outside a defined set, I don't understand the reluctance to force them
to provide some minimal information about it. (I may be mis-reading your
post completely  so please correct if I have run off into the weeds.)

Not sure what the refWork (which I have renamed in the schema to be
osisWork  to be consistent with our other usage) gains you in addition
to <osisWork>bible.lxx</osisWork>

I would just say: <work osisWork="bible.lxx">, etc. and end with
whatever (if any) other information you wanted to include.

Could even have: <work osisWork="bible.lxx"/>, with osisWorkType (the
type of the attribute value) being one of our extensible attribute
lists. The value in osisText of osisWork should match one of those
values or with the "x=" extension.

I think we are getting a little closer!

Patrick