[osis-core] Proposed works syntax

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:01:19 -0400

> Seriously, the purpose of <work> is to allow an osisWork attribute to
> reference a value, much like castList allows a reference to
> particular role.
>
> What I was trying to say was:
>
> <verse work="bible.lxx" osisID="some reference in LXX">blah, blah</verse>

I thought we were considering a collapsing that to a single attribute,
with an optional namespace-like prefix for teh work identifier, like this:

<verse osisID="bible.lxx:someReference"> ??

I know there have been lots of ideas floating around and I may not
be on top of things here...

> If I am understanding your point, something along the lines of:
>
> <xs:element name="work">
> <xs:complexType>
> <xs:sequence>
> <xs:element ref="title" minOccurs="0"/>
> <xs:element ref="creator" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <xs:element ref="date" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <xs:element ref="publisher" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <xs:element ref="identifier" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <xs:element ref="source" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> <xs:element ref="language" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
> </xs:sequence>
> <xs:attribute name="refWork" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
> </xs:complexType>

<creator> is fine with me instead of <author>.

than <identifier type="ISBN"> etc, but either is OK with me. I was
just concerned that people would use identifier types inconsistently.
Maybe we should specify a few and use the x-extension syntax.

> So what I am trying to do is provide a way to specify what is meant by
> "bible.lxx" when it appears as a attribute in <work>. Would this not
> give us a way in the initial release to specify several bible.***
> systems of reference? Or any others for that matter? (Extending your
> suggestion and may be way off base so please correct.)

What I'm not sure about is how you would use the above system to say:

"I want an american english version of the KJV" -- where do you say
that it shoudl be a generic "bible"?

"I want any edition of the bible.lxx" where bible.lxx is one of those
standardized osisID schemes we've discussed. Do I have to know a title,
publisher, author to fill in?  Or is there somewhere that I can use
a generic osisID scheme name such as bible.lxx, which is defined outside
this document?

What were the other fancy kinds of bible version specifications from
Rome that I recall someone enumerating on this list some time ago. How
woudl they work?  E.g. suppose I want a bible (any bible) in American
English. I suppose I would use <language>en-us</language> but where
to I say "a bible, any bible"?

I think we need some way of tying a <work> to a pre-defined osisID
scheme. That was the purpose of my proposed additional attribute to
specify an externally defined osisID scheme such as bible.lxx or
josephus or augustine_confessions.pusey

> Interesting question: If we do specify reference systems using this
> method, do we need to pursue the grain/character pointing issue at this
> point? In other words, you can use osisRef to point to as fine a level
> as specified by a reference system or it can point to an ID, which might
> take you to a word for example?
>
> Advantage would be that we can simply say that osisWork and osisRef have
> to comply with a character (no spaces, commas, periods (other than as
> syntax separators) no @, etc.) and period delimited syntax. We could
> even specify a couple of common ones in advance.
>
> Do need to think about the canRef and osisRef where someone uses a
> divergent reference than needs to map back to the canonical set.
>
> Have you thought about the Psalms problem if we use NRSVA? I am torn
> because if we use BHS, then users will have unfamiliar numbering leading
> to errors. If we use NRSVA, then, well I could declare a bible.bhs
> system and say that my osisRef in the head for a psalm maps to
> bible.bhs.ps.v?  work="bible.bhs" osisRef="Ps.---"

I don't recall what the psalm problem was exactly.  Is it that some
psalms (e.g. 42) have a header (For the leader. To "Lilies.") that
is not a part of any verse?

That's the nice thing about making up your own set of osisIDs. Make
one up for this part.  So psalm 42 would have

Ps.42.header (or Ps.42.0)
Ps.42.1
Ps.42.2
Ps.42.3...

The mapping could map Ps.42.0 and Ps.42.1 to Ps.42.1 in a greek edition.
In this regard, I'd rather have the reference version have a separate
Ps.42.0 and Ps.42.1 -- finer granularity for mapping other versions
into/out of this one.

Of the dozen or so most common English editions (NRSV, NIV, KJV, etc etc)
I think they all coincide exactly on the OT and have only two minor
variations in the NT (3 John 15 and a verse in Rev, if I recall correctly.)
I think we should definitely use something in this class for a standard.

-Harry