[osis-core] Harry on osisID's

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:29:12 -0400

At 08:55 AM -0400 07/01/02, Harry Plantinga wrote:
>  > >
>>  >Q. Is there a way of defining the class of legal canonicalIDs for
>>  >a document?
>>  >
>>  Yes, we had a massive regex early in the project for that very purpose.
>>  Problem is that if we put it in the core, then it is required for all
>>  documents, probably not the best choice.
>>
>>  Just redefine the permissible content for the syntax regex. So  the core
>>  module validates that you used the proper syntax and for a given
>>  project, you have a very short schema that invokes the core and
>>  redefines the regex to fit whatever you think are the proper values, not
>>  just for osisID but for osisRef and other attribute values.
>>
>>  Patrick
>

>What I really meant to ask is this: is there a way to write some XML
>that declares that Augustine's Confessions will have osisIDs of the
>following sort:
>
>Books I .. XIII
>Each book has chapters i, ii, iii, iv, ...
>Each chapter has sections 1, 2, ...
>
>In addition there is a Prologue wiht sections identified as
>Prologue.i, Prologue.ii, etc
>
>And the like.
>
>I suppose that this is future work. Or, perhaps we can declare the
>osisIDs in some OSIS edition of Augustine's Confessions to be canonical.

Such a declaration file format is on the to-do list, and I think it
should come quickly after the core is done. There are a couple rough
proposals floating around (at least, there were on some whiteboards,
and I think I got some noted down in e-form).

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net