[osis-core] Harry on osisID's

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:10:26 -0400

Greetings!

On the OSIS menu for today:

1. Index syntax - will add for tonight's release (pending your comments,
suggestions)

2. castList syntax - will add for tonight's release (pending your
comments, suggestions)

Recall that I need suggested content models for: actor, role, and
roleDesc (please try to pick from categories we already have, name,
abbr, etc.)

3. references syntax - posted the outline this morning, comments? (will
add just to give us a discussion point)

4. global subtype attribute - Troy suggested and it does give us more
flexibility than simply having type

5. Clean up ID and Pointer language and syntax. Generally, osisID (has
implied work, no grain or range, no XML ID syntax restrictions), osisID
(has implied work, and grain/range). Unfortunately have used osisID as
an attribute name and osisRef as a datatype. Need to be consistent and
probably should use both as datatypes and not attribute values. That
means that verse would have attribute cite with dataType of osisID.

Will that be too confusing? I sorta like the osisID but don't like my
inconsistent usage in the schema.

I will post a summary of correct names for attributes and data types
along with the new schema. (Plus Word and HTML documentation sans the
visual models)

Deferrals:

Harry's request for a reference declaration (TEI refsDecl) to say what
valid osisIDs are in a document instance. Steve has suggested that
should appear shortly after core. (Question for Harry: Did you see this
as a documentation function or one of validation? TEI does the former
and not the later.)

Open:

Shadow milestones: see my proposal for mangling the IDs on milestones to
make them "shadow milestones." Basically prepend "S-" to the osisID so
processors that don't use shadow milestones can simply ignore it, those
 that do can distinguish from actual text references. Valid usage
application dependent.

Date: do we want to do datatype validation or simply specify a system?
(or simply say date and not worry about date validation at this point.)

Namespace: Todd suggests: xmlns:osis="http://www.osis.org" (which I note
is available)

Alternative ending in Mark: I think this is different from versification
issue, similar but different.

Common values for use of <seg> for recording formatting for unknown
reasons (as opposed to <emph>)

Versification: indicating a system (cf. my proposal to specify the
Oxford Study Bible as canonical and if you vary, map to it. canID="map
to" osisID="map from")
(Crude? yes. Gets us out the door? yes. Can be extended in the future?
yes. Harry's suggestion but blame me for the suggested implementation.)

Assuming that I can get 1 -5 to validate and get everyone a fresh
release, can we get some proposals/comments on the open issues so we can
put this puppy to bed?

Thanks!