[osis-core] When an osisID is not an osisID?

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 07:34:35 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> To comment on my own, unclear post:
>

>> My suggestion to NOT use osisRef to mark these does not preclude
>> using osisRef, e.g.
>>
>> <verse beginOsisID="John.1.1" endOsisID="John.1.3">
>> <reference osisRef="John.1.1-John.1.3">John 1:1-3</reference> In the
>> beginning...
>> </verse>
>>
>> but this does not satisfy the need for a mechanism to locate sections
>> on the document that 'contain' e.g. "John.1.1", for software.
>

> This last statement should, instead say something like: this
> <reference> element, alone, does not satisfy the need for a mechanism
> to locate the section of the document that 'contains' e.g.
> "John.1.1".  Hence, the need for the <verse> element, in the example
> above, to do this.

We don't have "beginOsisID" or "endOsisID" in the current schema. Are
you suggesting that be added? (We probably need something like this for
attachment of notes and the range of items included in an element.)

The <verse> element (as I understand it) should contain what is
traditionally marked and referenced as a verse. The osisID, therefore,
suffices for the "who am I" function that identifies the content of that
element. So some other container would have to hold the first three
verses of John, for example, but would then use some alternative
mechanism to indicate its content (like your beginOsisID and endOsisID).

You are correct that the reference element only identifies a reference
and hopefully, provides a pointer to that reference.

Assuming that John1.1-3 were the only content of a <p> element in a
translation, it would be marked as:

osisRef="John.1.1-John.1.3">John 1:1-3</reference>In the beginning....</p>

Note that <verse> is not required to say that John.1.1 occurs in this
element and if you have good enough software, it may infer that John1.2
can also be found here.

Comments, suggestions?

Patrick