[osis-core] When an osisID is not an osisID?

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:12:58 -0700

> We don't have "beginOsisID" or "endOsisID" in the current schema. Are
> you suggesting that be added? (We probably need something like this for
> attachment of notes and the range of items included in an element.)

I was assuming you were suggesting this from the quote below.  Seems my
not remembering the same names you used probably caused the confusion:

 > We would need to add begin/end global attributes to deal with the
 > cases where the element contains less (or more) than the common
 > division of materials.

 > <xs:attribute name="osisBegin" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>
 > <xs:attribute name="osisEnd" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>

> The <verse> element (as I understand it) should contain what is
> traditionally marked and referenced as a verse.

So you wouldn't use it for CEV Scripture?

> The osisID, therefore,
> suffices for the "who am I" function that identifies the content of that
> element. So some other container would have to hold the first three
> verses of John, for example, but would then use some alternative
> mechanism to indicate its content (like your beginOsisID and endOsisID).

Not sure I followed this one, but think I understand from your example
below.

> You are correct that the reference element only identifies a reference
> and hopefully, provides a pointer to that reference.
>
> Assuming that John1.1-3 were the only content of a <p> element in a
> translation, it would be marked as:

> osisRef="John.1.1-John.1.3">John 1:1-3</reference>In the beginning....</p>

Ok, good.  I thought you were stating that we didn't need to markup the
"who am I" in the CEV with anything other than the <reference> element
from your post below:

 > Proposal:

 > For translations/texts  that do not follow a canonical reference
 > system but that do refer to such systems to document particular places
 > in the text, the structure of the text should be encoded but
 > references to the external system, whether on an element or by
 > milestone appearing in running text, should be using the osisRef
 > attribute of type osisRef.

> Note that <verse> is not required to say that John.1.1 occurs in this
> element and if you have good enough software, it may infer that John1.2
> can also be found here.

Right, since Steve has not spoken up on this issue, I assume I was by
myself on desiring that <verse> ALWAYS be used to mark the "who am I".

> Comments, suggestions?

See new post on begin/end (so it doesn't get lost at the end of this
message)