[osis-core] <p>

Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:50:17 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Would you hate me if I asked for the ability to have and empty <p>?

Won't hate you! Do wonder why your use case requires <p />?

> use case:  I'm marking up a fragment that has a paragraph break, but I
> don't want to (know the) bound either above or below.  It would be
> useful to at least have a <p />.

Is this one of those "formatting/display" things I keep hearing about? ;-)

Where does this leave you if there is some other break? Quotation, page,
column, etc.?

My suggestion would be to use <milestone type="pBreak"> so you can
consistenly have cBreak (for columns), pbBreak (for pages), etc. Seems
like it would be better to have a common solution to the breaking
problem that you could plan on being used rather than having the empty
formatting/display, but it was bad practice then (even when I have done
it) and time has not improved my opinion of it.

Do you see any downsides to using the <milestone> as indicated? I was
thinking you would have to treat <p /> as a special case from the usual
not create any extra effort.