[osis-core] New Schema!

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:58:24 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>> Thoughts on reducing the content model of <div> as per Todd? (I am
>> looking at it and will post suggestions this afternoon/evening. I
>> slept late, 4:30 AM so probably won't take a nap today. ;-)
>

> I say 'nay' due to the fact that we need the ability to annote these
> things in docs that don't have a 'lower' level of markup.  I may not
> have paragraph delimeters, or others in my docs.  I probably will have
> <verse>'s in my Bibles, but now I don't think I would in commentaries.
> I may even use milestones, in some hard cases, in which the markup
> would, by XML DOM standards, be a child of <div>.
>
> Comments?

I was trying to remember why the <div> content model was so loose and I
think it was partially from examples where texts don't follow the
"right" structure, but the encoder is faced with the text as they find
it. Different considerations for authoring a new text, well, at least to
some degree, but rather than have people, 1. cheat by inserting things
that are not really there to get some particular element, or 2. ignore
OSIS because it is "too strict", I would prefer at this stage to have
the looser model.

That is not to say that translators and publishers won't have much
reduced <div> structures since they should be authoring structurally
sound documents, even if they want to display them in odd ways. Display
is something we can handle with stylesheets and the like.