[osis-core] New Schema!

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:25:33 -0600

Troy,

> > Thoughts on reducing the content model of <div> as per Todd? (I am
> > looking at it and will post suggestions this afternoon/evening. I
slept
> > late, 4:30 AM so probably won't take a nap today. ;-)
>

> I say 'nay' due to the fact that we need the ability to annote these
> things in docs that don't have a 'lower' level of markup.  I may not
> have paragraph delimeters, or others in my docs.  I probably will have
> <verse>'s in my Bibles, but now I don't think I would in commentaries.
> I may even use milestones, in some hard cases, in which the markup
> would, by XML DOM standards, be a child of <div>.
>
> Comments?

Would there be a problem with using <p> rather than <div> to contain the
"loose" text and milestones when encoding the cases you described?  (In
this case <p> acting as a "leaf div" and not really taking on the
meaning of <p>.  Another alternative being an element identical to <p>
that you could use instead of <div> and not have to overload the meaning
of <p>.)

The benefit in having fewer possible children of <div> is that style
sheets would have less to consider and people trying to encode documents
will not be confused as to how to best use the schema.

Also it is possible to encode the following:

	<milestone_start osisID="Matt.1.1"/>text of verse
1<milestone_end osisID="Matt.1.1"/>
		<milestone_start osisID="Matt.1.2"/>part 1 of verse
2<div>second part of verse 2<milestone_end osisID="Matt.1.2"/><div>

This is probably not the best example, but the point is that it seems
good keep <div> as a pure container of other elements that contain the
actual "text".  If we don't like the idea of overloading the meaning of
that acts like <p> but has a different name.

Todd