[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 10 reference to an entire work.

Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:20:59 -0600

> At 11:14 AM -0600 08/21/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> >Currenly we have a nice mechanism to point to a reference within a
work
> >but not to an entire work or reference system.
> >
> ><reference osisRef="Bible.KJV(Bible.TEV)"/> is invalid.
>
> That is kind of tacky, isn't it?

With out this sort of syntax we have no way of optionally saying that I
mean this reference identifier in this reference system in this
translation.  This is a necessary behavior.  There have been alternate
syntaxes thrown around over the past year but this seems to make the
most sense.

We did have the work follow the rest of the reference at one point.

What about this seems tacky?  Do you have any alternate suggestions?

Naturally an aliasing mechanism would make things look simpler, but I
think that would just complicate things for now.

> >But <reference osisRef="Bible.TEV:Gen"/> is valid.
> >
> >If we change the regex to no have a ":" then we have no way to
> >distinquish between a reference to an entire work or reference system
> >and a reference that is defaulting the reference system.  We could
allow
> >the following:
> >
> ><reference osisRef="Bible.KJV(Bible.TEV):"/>
> >
> >One ugly thing is that the reference system is not needed when
referring
> >to the entire work.
>
> True; I could live with that and the extraneous-seeming colon,
> though; this seems a rare enough case that it can get away with being
> a little ugly.

If we are going to do this we need to adjust the regex accordingly.

> >Do we need a <workReference> element?  It is tempting to add another
> >attribute to <reference> named osisWorkRef but then both attributes
> >would be optional.  I would rather see another element and have the
> >attributes be required.
> >
> >Todd
>

> --
>
> Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd