[osis-core] Reference to entire work?

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:05:16 -0400

Todd,

Just a question at this point on the exchange about pointing to an
entire work.

Assuming that the osisRef is bound to a <work> element in the header,
which could (would need to add probably) a statement about its internal
reference system, I am not certain I understand the issue about
"pointing to the entire work?"

If Bible.KJV:Gen.1.1 is pointing at the first verse of the first chapter
of Genesis in the King James Version of the Bible,

why isn't: Bible.KJV pointing to the work as a whole? (Leaving aside for
the moment Harry's question about short aliases to works, although I
think it works there as well).

Am I missing something special about references to entire works?
Admittedly, you might want to have a reference to a specific
translation, but the details of that would be in the <work> element and
need not appear in the string that is used to link to that entry.