[osis-core] annotateWork and annotateType

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:48:59 -0600

This indicates to me that the description is out of date and needs to be
updated to reflect the current understanding.  As recently as 8/18 (see
the post from Troy) osisRef was removed as an attribute from
globalAttributes for various reasons (see earlier posts) based on the
fact that the same behavior could be achieved using <reference> as I
outlined in the earlier post.

(There are also earlier posts related to this use of <reference>.)

The question is not whether this is a proper use of <reference> but if
annotations have a different structure requires a special structure.  I
thought that an annotation was reference to an whole work and not to a
point within the work and that is why we needed a special structure.
(This may bring up the issue of how we create a reference to an entire
work or reference system.)

Todd

> Todd,
>
> The description of the reference element is this:

> include XLink/XPointer syntax in a later OSIS release. At present it
> marks the location of a reference in one text to another, whether
direct
> (like citation/quotation) or indirect (such as an allusion), along
with
> the reference/pointing mechanism in this release.</p>
>
> In such cases, there is not really a reference or an allusion to
another
> text -- it's something different, it's a sermon on that text, a
> commentary on that text, a poetic rendering, etc.
>
> -Harry

type="annotation"