[osis-core] Problem with no <p> markings

Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:33:17 -0400

Guys,

I have been thinking a lot about the problem Troy raised yesterday about
data that was entered using the Book/Chapter/Verse division that does
not contain the necessary <p> information needed to use the
annotationGroup and translationGroup (read phrase level markup) elements.

We expended a fair amount of effort in building a single hierarchy that
mirrors current practices but accomodated older divisions with
milestones. Not being container elements, milestones do not solve the
problem that Troy has found.

While I think Todd's suggestion of special <p> elements has merit, it
does increase the amount of markup that would be required to represent
such texts.

Alternative suggestion:

Since we are talking about legacy data, it might be appropriate to
declare an OSISLegacy_1.0.xsd that redefines the content model for <div>
in order to allow the sort of phrase level markup that Troy wants
without requiring the use of the <p> element. It would keep the
distinction we have made between modern vs. older practices and yet
allow us to use the OSIS schema for the legacy materials.

I would note that Troy's position is not entirely one of legacy data but
wanting to have phrase level markup whenever PCDATA is allowed. I am
checking to make sure that is the case in situations other than the one
Troy has raised. In other words, whenever bibical text (understood in
this case to be translation) appears, then phrase level markup should be
allowable. That is the case for <p>, <note> (which is composed of
the cases of biblical text. (Note that Troy's case arises only from
moving outside the content model of the schema.)

I will try to call everyone today (or you can call me at: 678-625-0995,
but note I will be out of the office from about 9 AM until 11 AM running
errands to get ready for Rome) to discuss how to resolve this issue.

Hope this finds everyone in good health and spirits!