[osis-core] OSIS_0105:17 <date> from xs:dateTime?

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:48:49 -0400

>I was thinking that the hh:mm:ss part is optional (defaulted to
>midnight, if left blank) in xs:dateTime.  This is not the case.  However
>we could  do the following.  That would have the same impact.
>
>This would cause no impact on those who simple want to provide a date
>only but allows for a date/time for interested parties.
>
>See the following schema fragment and xml document fragment:
>SCHEMA:
><xs:element name="date" type="DateOrDateTime"/>
><xs:simpleType name="DateOrDateTime">
>	<xs:union memberTypes="xs:date xs:dateTime"/>
></xs:simpleType>
>
>DOCUMENT: (BOTH are valid!!!!!)
><date>2001-04-07T13:20:33</date>
><date>2001-04-07</date>

Yes, if we want to compell year-month-day on the date element. I guess I
am missing why we would be enforcing detail that is not commonly found
in print publications? Can be done, my question is should it be done?

Patrick