[osis-core] OSIS_0105:17 <date> from xs:dateTime?

Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:47:19 -0500

Are you saying that this detail is not found in print publications or that
it is not enforced by print publications?

If you are saying that it is not enforced by print publications then the
thought to consider is that XML documents are read by computers (and
sometimes by humans) and computers are not good a guessing what free text
means.

If you are saying that this detail is not found in print publications (and
is not important) then lets get rid of it OR lets make it a useful value
that is fully validated.

Elements that are more strictly validated are more useful.  In this case the
value should ALWAYS be a date of some kind.  And there is well established
standard for how to encode them.  When an element/attribute is not just
"free text" and is forced to be in a specified format or an option from a
set enumerated values, then users can reliability use the contents of the
element (assuming the document has been validated against the indicated
schema) without having to code for invalid data.

With <date> as xs:string the following are possible:
<date>The year of our Lord 1990</date>
<date>XXIV</date> (Date in Roman numerals, a poor example, but you should
get the idea.)
<date>Jan-12-2002</date>
<date>99</date>
<date>2002AD</date>
<date>2002-A.D.</date>
<date>200204</date>
<date>0204</date>
<date>200402</date>

What is meant by theses cases is somewhat clear in come cases if read by a
human but is totally useless to a computer.  Why not use the standard  that
exists when there is not harm in requiring proper date encoding.  Those who
don't know how to encode a date should study up on XML and then get back to
encoding.  Also an example document will make the format clear to any
encoder regardless of training.

Todd