[mobile-devel] And Bible version 0.0.14 is available

Gordon Diamant gordon at gdiamant.com
Mon Nov 22 12:29:56 MST 2010

The reading plan I am currently using is the "Bible Gateway Old/New
Testament plan" subscribed in my Google calendar.   I look up the
entry every day and then manually find the verses in And-Bible.

I usually pick a different plan each year, and sometimes I create my
own from scratch (so a way to read custom plan files would be
fantastic for me).

Many thanks for And-Bible v0.0.15

;;;Gordon

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> I haven't thought much about reading plans and they haven't even been on my long term todo list.  JSword contains a single reading plan but the ui would need coding.  Many bibles allow you to select from a variety of reading plans and automatically take you the correct pages to read each day.  Personally, I have never followed a reading plan but maybe I should.
> Do many of you use reading plans?
> Best regards
> Martin
> On 22 November 2010 17:04, Kenneth Arnold <kcarnold at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I often use Back as Exit -- but _only_ for activities that were launched from another activity, like bringing up a map from an email address. So if there was ever a "Bible URL" handler, Back should exit the activity. But for the current functionality, the current behavior is exactly what I expect.
>>
>> The analogy Google seems to be aiming for is a simplified version of tabs in a web browser; Back in a tab with no history closes the tab.
>>
>> Thanks Martin! btw, I haven't been using AndBible much myself because I'm mainly following a reading plan, and it's easier to pull up the webpage for that. But that would quickly change if AndBible had reading plans :) [I'd code this myself except that I have no time until at least January.]
>>
>> -Ken

>>> The official stance from Google is that your application should not have an actual "exit" feature - that is what the home button is for.  When creating an app you should handle onPause/onStop correctly so that you are not running unnecessary processes in the background.  Also, the back button generally (by default) will simply run finish() on the current activity ...  seems to be working correctly for me in all cases with the latest build.
>>> Not trying to throw fuel on a fire, just making the point that Android has particulars with respect to how the SDK is meant to work.
>>> Cheers,
>>> David