[Ichthux-devel] RE:CDD |more

David dk-dev at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 15:02:51 MST 2005

Responding to these comments:

> > 2)Include Grsecurity and PAX with kernels, provides a more secure
> > enviroment.
>
> I am completely ignorant about this topic.  I'd like to learn more,
> and in particular check the debian list archives (probably
> debian-devel, though maybe others) to see if this has been considered
> and if any work is either completed or in progress.
This is what grsecurity is about- http://www.grsecurity.net/ .
And PAX is a way to randomize your memory in order to discourage memory hacks.
http://www.grsecurity.net/
Both are included in the Grsecurity patch, also in Debian it is called
"trusted Debian", perhaps there already is a build :).

> > 3)If we decide to include wine in ICHTUX, we need to include the wine
> > tools scripts as well, for ease of installation.
> > http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/
>
> I would resist this.  In general I don't think users are best served
> by running an amalgam of Linux and Windows software, even though that
> might be considered by some to be a pragmatic solution to a certain
> subset of problems some users face.  I also consider it to be a waste
> of free software developer energy to pour time into infrastracture
> that should and can eventually go away.
>
> It's not that I'm dead-set against people using Wine.  I just think it
> opens up a whole hornet's nest of problems to include it in an
> otherwise completely free-software project.
>
> Of course, Wine itself is free, so theoretically there is no problem
> including it, and just omitting the proprietary software itself.  But
> practically speaking, it would be unreasonable to include it and not
> expect users to tie up Ichthux developer time asking for help with
> proprietary apps. they are trying to get running on it.
I agree that wine is non-essential to the package and really should be
excluded.  Wine is free, but in order to use anything Microsoft you first
must have in posession an installation of a MS product. (Read thier EULA)
To avoid this, we should put a WIKI, or FAQ on how-to install these packages.

David