[Ichthux-devel] RE:CDD |more

Ben Armstrong synergism at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:46:33 MST 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 3:56 PM, David <dk-dev at comcast.net> wrote:
> The only concern with going to a CDD is that the hardware detection
> will not be as good as the Knoppix distros. We need to work hard on
> verifying that hardware detection is not a downfall.

Knoppix isn't doing anything proprietary in this dept. so I don't see a problem.

You might be interested to know that there is already agreement and
some discussion in the past on the debian-custom list about
integrating the best bits of Knoppix into Debian.  See the list
archives.

> 1) USB boot support?- Install minimally from USB drive, include a
> windows/mac based install to usb drive.

I don't see why not.  I think other CDDs have done this.

> 2)Include Grsecurity and PAX with kernels, provides a more secure
> enviroment.

I am completely ignorant about this topic.  I'd like to learn more,
and in particular check the debian list archives (probably
debian-devel, though maybe others) to see if this has been considered
and if any work is either completed or in progress.

> 3)If we decide to include wine in ICHTUX, we need to include the wine tools
> scripts as well, for ease of installation.
> http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

I would resist this.  In general I don't think users are best served
by running an amalgam of Linux and Windows software, even though that
might be considered by some to be a pragmatic solution to a certain
subset of problems some users face.  I also consider it to be a waste
of free software developer energy to pour time into infrastracture
that should and can eventually go away.

It's not that I'm dead-set against people using Wine.  I just think it
opens up a whole hornet's nest of problems to include it in an
otherwise completely free-software project.

Of course, Wine itself is free, so theoretically there is no problem
including it, and just omitting the proprietary software itself.  But
practically speaking, it would be unreasonable to include it and not
expect users to tie up Ichthux developer time asking for help with
proprietary apps. they are trying to get running on it.

Ben