[Ichthux-devel] RE:CDD |more

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:15:38 MST 2005

On 4/13/05, David <dk-dev at comcast.net> wrote:

> Responding to these comments:
>
> > > 3)If we decide to include wine in ICHTUX, we need to include the wine
> > > tools scripts as well, for ease of installation.
> > > http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/
> >
> > I would resist this. In general I don't think users are best served
> > by running an amalgam of Linux and Windows software, even though that
> > might be considered by some to be a pragmatic solution to a certain
> > subset of problems some users face. I also consider it to be a waste
> > of free software developer energy to pour time into infrastracture
> > that should and can eventually go away.
> >
> > It's not that I'm dead-set against people using Wine. I just think it
> > opens up a whole hornet's nest of problems to include it in an
> > otherwise completely free-software project.
> >
> > Of course, Wine itself is free, so theoretically there is no problem
> > including it, and just omitting the proprietary software itself. But
> > practically speaking, it would be unreasonable to include it and not
> > expect users to tie up Ichthux developer time asking for help with
> > proprietary apps. they are trying to get running on it.
> I agree that wine is non-essential to the package and really should be
> excluded. Wine is free, but in order to use anything Microsoft you first
> must have in posession an installation of a MS product. (Read thier EULA)
> To avoid this, we should put a WIKI, or FAQ on how-to install these
> packages.

Not only will I resist including win32 apps in ichthux (which btw I think
would be allowed by the Debian guidelines, that apply to CDDs as part of the
Debian project), but I think that people who develop open-source apps for
windows might soon see that it wouldn't cost them much to port them to Linux
so the apps can run on Ichthux and be part of an entirely free christian OS.
It would cost us a lot of energy and get us out of our goals, when the devs
of each win32 app can port them quite easily, being used to working on their
own code, and for their own sake.

As for Knoppix, this is a great tool to create Live CDs, and this is why I
used it. it's very easy to customize and modify. But it's not suitable for a
whole distro, and I really would prefer working on a CDD for the whole
project, while maybe still using Knoppix as an associated Live CD,
containing the Ichthux packages as core.

Raphaël