Fwd: [Ichthux-devel] Lost Ichthux & the Cartoon Jesus

Ben Armstrong synergism at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 03:42:30 MST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 6:53 AM, Raphaël Pinson <raphink at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2005 9:54 AM, biblix.online at free.fr <biblix.online at free.fr>
>  I do not quite agree with this. For the basic user, Ichthux will be the
> name of the whole operating system, and they might not see the difference
> between Debian and Ichthux. Therefore, creating an ichthux submenu in the
> KDE menu might be confusing, if people think the whole thing is Ichthux... I
> mean : basic users would have to make the effort of grasping both what
> Debian and Ichthux is.

I think keeping your users aware of the difference between Debian and
Ichthux is important.  The support community for Ichthux will be able
to help with Ichthux-specific things.  The support community for
Debian will be able to help with any general Debian issue.  Having a
menu structure that shows things "inside" Ichthux and the rest outside
sends a clear signal to the user about which things they can depend on
Ichthux to help with.

Contrast this approach with Linspire's.  They intentionally obscure
what's underneath.  They want to be the sole provider of everything to
the Linspire user, and are not interested at all in the user going
"upstream" for help.

Understand also that my model is influenced by prior discussion on the
debian-custom list about this.  Years ago when I first put together
Debian Jr. many people did not know where things were in Debian Jr.
They complained that everything was buried in the general menus in
Debian, so children (and those helping them) couldn't find the
material.  So we came up with a plan for a "Junior" menu, specific to
the CDD.  Now, that work is on hold because the CDD tools are being
rewritten, but post-sarge, that's where everything will go.

Ben