[bt-devel] BibleTime Mobile

Benjamin Misja alvanx at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:25:04 MST 2014

Hi Gary,

Download, installation, adding more modules, reading and search all worked
with no problems for me! I have an HTC One S with Android 4.1.

Here are a few impressions:
1. Adding new modules was straightforward because I'm familiar with BibleTime
(i.e. I know what "Bookshelf manager" refers to) and Android (i.e. I know that
the three dots mean "context menu" or "options").

If you want to make it a little easier for newbies to get more modules, you
may want to consider renaming "Bookshelf manager" to something like "Manage
installed works".

Also, I was slightly confused in the bookshelf manager because there is no
distinction between "installed" and "selected". Some resources where already
"checked" (maybe I had installed them through AndBible or Bibletime Mini?),
and when I selected others to be installed, they were equally "checked", but
in this case, I had to confirm their download and installation.

2. I personally would like to see you do more with the home screen. So far, it
JUST lets you do a search. To just read a passage, you have to use the menu.
My first impression of this empty home screen was that maybe the installation
hadn't worked perfectly.

What if you either
* just opened a Bible to Gen 1, right beneath the search bar, or
* offered several options such as
** search
** open a passage or installed work
** manage your installed works?

This would present all options neatly and not give the impression that what
the app wants you to do is just search your bible. :-)

3. A word about indexing. The first thing the app lets you do right now is
search. Well, after you enter a search term, the app will ask to index your
bible first. Users may not like this. What if a standard Bible, e.g. the ESV,
were just indexed in the background at first launch? Indexing is something
which many users may not understand, and search is a feature they will expect
to "just work".

Ben Misja