[bt-devel] BibleTime Mobile

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:22:15 MST 2014

Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. I have added some comments below.

On 05/26/2014 09:25 AM, Benjamin Misja wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Download, installation, adding more modules, reading and search all worked
> with no problems for me! I have an HTC One S with Android 4.1.
Very good to here!

> Here are a few impressions:
> 1. Adding new modules was straightforward because I'm familiar with BibleTime
> (i.e. I know what "Bookshelf manager" refers to) and Android (i.e. I know that
> the three dots mean "context menu" or "options").
>
> If you want to make it a little easier for newbies to get more modules, you
> may want to consider renaming "Bookshelf manager" to something like "Manage
> installed works".
This is a good suggestion. I have also wondered about "Works". I am
thinking that "Documents" would be better.

> Also, I was slightly confused in the bookshelf manager because there is no
> distinction between "installed" and "selected". Some resources where already
> "checked" (maybe I had installed them through AndBible or Bibletime Mini?),
> and when I selected others to be installed, they were equally "checked", but
> in this case, I had to confirm their download and installation.
I had wondered if this would be confusing. I will plan to have a
distinction between installed and selected. Yes, BibleTime Mobile shares
the works with AndBible and BibleTime Mini.

> 2. I personally would like to see you do more with the home screen. So far, it
> JUST lets you do a search. To just read a passage, you have to use the menu.
> My first impression of this empty home screen was that maybe the installation
> hadn't worked perfectly.
>
> What if you either
> * just opened a Bible to Gen 1, right beneath the search bar, or
> * offered several options such as
> ** search
> ** open a passage or installed work
> ** manage your installed works?
>
> This would present all options neatly and not give the impression that what
> the app wants you to do is just search your bible. :-)
I was thinking of doing something like you describe. You probably missed
it because you already had installed works, but I do prompt you to open
the Bookshelf Manager if there are none installed.

> 3. A word about indexing. The first thing the app lets you do right now is
> search. Well, after you enter a search term, the app will ask to index your
> bible first. Users may not like this. What if a standard Bible, e.g. the ESV,
> were just indexed in the background at first launch? Indexing is something
> which many users may not understand, and search is a feature they will expect
> to "just work".
This would be nice. I am not sure if all the code supporting indexing
can be safely used in a thread while other things are going on. I need
to think about this further. Another option might be to build it into
the install process.

> Ben Misja

Thanks again.

Gary