[bt-devel] Bible Application for Mobile Devices

Костя Маслюк kostyamaslyuk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 11:29:29 MST 2013

2013/8/17 Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com>

>  Костя,
>
> I would like to explore how we could work together on this project. I am
> glad you are interested in a QML version. It seems that it can provide the
> best experience for mobile devices.
>
> This is interesting to me too. And i agree. I have many things to say but
would like to focus on important ones.

I will spend some time on design interface yet.Then focus on Core
improvements then design again. I found that to create design that would be
good for all orientations and screen sizes is difficult task. There should
be different layout and scroll directions for different orientations, on
big screen we would like to show more elements...

We ought to have somewhere todo list, to see each other's tasks in priority
order. I will write there what i mean under Core improvements and we be
able to discuss them.

Here is my list, only first paragraph is actual
https://gitorious.org/bibletime/mini/blobs/raw/master/src/frontend-mini/todo.txt

Since Mini is currently based on QWidgets, a QML version would be mostly a
> new implementation, right?

I plan to use both QWidgets and QML versions for some period in one
application, there is no problems to just include Mobile and deploy it with
Mini.

Mobile is only partly implemented. So I could see either evolving Mobile or
> starting over and pulling parts of Mobile that we like. If it is called
> Mini or Mobile is not important to me.

For me too, i'm not ambitious. If some one on this list have opinion, i
would appreciate it here. "Mobile" is not so attractive for me as "Mini",
but last would be associated with something not full-functional. For this
moment i'm incline more to "Mini" name.

> I am interested in it eventually being as full featured as BibleTime
> Desktop, but that would be well after the first QML release.
>
> I also feel that it should be in the same repository as BibleTime Desktop.

I plan to produce modifications for main repo from now, maybe in form of
merge requests... And when we will be sure in quality of my code, you would
give me write access.

> I would be interested in knowing more about how the builds on various
> mobile platforms have be worked out. And also about building Sword and
> other dependencies.

I have just included clucene and sword sources in my pro files, made
external resources available from qrc, and now i just open in in creator
and compile/deploy.

https://gitorious.org/bibletime/mini/blobs/raw/master/platforms/common/clucene/clucene.pro
https://gitorious.org/bibletime/mini/blobs/raw/master/platforms/common/sword/sword.pro

Android port is relative in good condition, sword library would be compiled
without modifications. Qt for iOS is crude, sword needs to be modified in
three places or additional defines passed to compiler.

https://gitorious.org/~kalemas/sword-svn-mirrors/kalemas_at_mail_ru-trunk/commit/247774e2bb095f4e646419f1356aeb227e515944

Blessings.