[bt-devel] Bookshelf troubles and wishes

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Sun Sep 27 00:20:42 MST 2009

Hi Jaak,

> > 2 Feature requests:
> > - Can you please enable 1-click folding/unfolding in the tree?
>
> This is a difficult one. Single-click expanding/collapsing is possible
> and quite simple to implement, however it will interfere with check
> boxes if these are shown. I think the 2 best ways to solve this are as
> follows:
>
> 1) Showing all [+] and [-] controls for expanding and collapsing items
> (including root items; QTreeView::rootIsDecorated). These controls in
> front of tree items have desired the "single-click expand/collapse"
> functionality. Clicking on the item itself will still have the "select"
> functionality.
>
> 2) Enable the single-click functionality only for root items when
> checkboxes are hidden. The rest of the items will still have the [+] and
> [-] controls for single-click functionality. When check boxes are shown
> the [+] and [-] controls for the root item must also be shown, and
> clicking on the root item itself will only select it.
>
> If you have any other good ideas, please contribute. Personally I prefer
> the first solution I just proposed in case Single-click is a must-have,
> although it will take some more screen space.

I think that the behaviour should be consistent with that of other
applications, that is also why I would consider single click a "must have".
I'd also prefer your first solution. This is how it works in KMail too, for
example:
- single click on +/- expands/collapses
- single click on folder opens it
- double click on folder expands/collapses

I'd be very grateful if you could implement this behaviour.

> Sure. Do you want that QLineEdit left or right of the buttons on top of
> the bookshelf view in main window?

Left, as it is what I'd use much more often.

Thanks!!

mg