[bt-devel] Bookshelf troubles and wishes (how to reproduce)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 27 20:39:32 MST 2009

Martin Gruner wrote:

>> I have a problem with the bookshelf. When using the "Category/Language"
>> grouping, I see all categories correctly. But in the first category (daily
>> devotionals in German) most modules are put, while in the other categories
>> there is only one language and one module. ...

Jaak Ristioja responded:

> Superfly also reported this bug. Unfortunately for some unknown reason I
> have been unable to reproduce this bug on my machine. But this is still
> one of my top priorities for BibleTime.

I think I have found a way to reproduce this issue consistently here:

(1) Clean out bibletime and SWORD configurations, so we start fresh:

    rm -rf ~/.sword ~/.bibletime

(2) Run bibletime (I'm using 2.3.beta1 under Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty amd64)

    bibletime &

(3) Open the BT Bookshelf Manager (Press F4)

(4) Set the install path to /home/USERNAME/.sword

(5) Click Refresh so we get a list of CrossWire modules

(6) Click on the little black triangles to expand Bibles and then
English.  Select two bibles, KJV and NETfree.

(7) Scroll down and click on the little black triangles to expand Books
and then English.  Select two books, Pilgrim and Practice.

(8) Click on Install... and then on Install to install these 4 modules.

(9) Click Close to close the Bookshelf Manager window.

(10) In the Bookshelf subwindow, right-click on Bibles and hover over
Grouping until the list of groupings appears.  Click on Language/Category.

(11) Click on English to expand this language.

(12) Click on the little black triangles next to Bibles and Books.

At this point, I consistently see the "Bibles" list containing KJV,
NETfree and Pilgrim, and the "Books" list containing only Practice.

This is clearly incorrect.  Screenshot attached.  I'm hoping that if you
can reproduce it, you can probably also fix it :)  If the above steps do
not reproduce this in your own environment, are there further debugging
steps I could/should try out here that would be useful?

Jonathan