[bt-devel] Questions about BibleTime for windows

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:55:54 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Martin Gruner wrote:
>
>> Before we release a final public version, I'd like to ask a few questions. Gary
>> or Greg, maybe you can answer them?
>>

> Let's see if I can answer some of them... Correct me if I'm wrong.
>

>> - Where does the installer put the application directory? Is it per-user or
>> global?
>>

> Application is installed by default in Program Files\BibleTime\, but can
> of course be installed somewhere else.
>
> BT uses ~\Application Data\ for sword.conf and module installation.
> BT config files go to ~\.bibletime.

  ~/Sword for sword.conf  and private module installation
  ~/BibleTime for BT configs

Where ~ is defined by the Windows env var %APPDATA%
On Win Xp this is C:\Documents and Settings\<login name>\Application Data
On Vista this is C:\Users\<login name>\AppData\Roaming

We also add one extra Sword data directory this first time that the
sword.conf is created. This is for shared sword modules.
It points to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Sword
On Win Xp this would be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Sword
On Vista this would be C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Sword

I suppose Win 7 is the same as Vista.

>> - Is that directory self-contained, or does it require external content (I.e.,
>> does the installer put files somwhere else, like the windows or windows/system
>> directories)?
>>

> I think it's self-contained.

It is self contained except for the Microsoft Runtime Libraries which we
install. This goes under C:\Windows\WinSiS

>> - Are the libraries that are required at build time (sword, clucene, curl, qt)
>> linked in statically? If not, in which form are they distributed and where
>> will they be installed to?
>>

> They are .dll, i.e. dynamic. They are in the BT installation folder, in
> bin\ subfolder, in the same place than the BT binary, including the
> msvc files.

sword and qt are dlls, others are static. Located in C:\Program
Files\BibleTime\bin
>> - Would it be possible to put the application directory on a USB stick (U3)
>> that does not require installation?
>>

> Should be with little work - unless msvc files are fixed to a location
> where they are installed with the installer. Maybe we just have to
> change the default conf/module directory locations. But I know almost
> nothing about U3 (and hate it because it's Windows only).

Yes it would take work. It would be somewhat messy because the msvc
files would have to be in all of the following locations to make
everything work.
C:\Program Files\BibleTime\bin
C:\Program Files\BibleTime\bin\plugins\iconengines
C:\Program Files\BibleTime\bin\plugins\imageformats

The last two directories are for Qt plugins.

>> - Where does BibleTime create the user's configuration files?
>>

> In ~\.bibletime. Maybe this should be changed to ~\Application
> Data\bibletime?

They are in ~\BibleTime. See above.
>> - Will it be possible to seamlessly upgrade the package as we release new
>> versions?
>>

> I guess it would require some coding. I don't know much about automatic
> updates in Windows world, but I gues we need a fixed server location
> where a file with version information is stored. BibleTime would fetch
> it and offer to download and start the new installer.
>

>> - Can the package be uninstalled without leaving data on the system?
>>

> It leaves the module directories. It also leaves the ~\Application
> Data\Sword\ directory with sword.conf. and I guess also .bibletime\. It
> doesn't touch env variables or registry.
>
> This is an area which we should think thoroughly. If we want to offer
> maximum security for those who live in persecuted countries, we should
> offer a way to remove all traces of BibleTime. However, it may not be
> realistic to expect that other programs would do the same. We can't
> delete the sword config and modules from the Application Data directory,
> at least without asking, because other programs may use them.

Agreed except the paths are not quite right. See the above answers.

>> - Does CPack actually create the entire installer or is there more
>> code/configration files involved? If so, where are these stored?
>>

> I know only about the BTCpack.cmake file.

You must also install the NSIS package for CPack to be able to create
the installer.
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland