[bt-devel] BT doesn't start on WinXP

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 06:51:37 MST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Novák Géza wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I don't know about windows build progress, but i think i have an idea to
>> solve the SWORD_PATH issue...
>> I was exported the sword path's registry key, (system-wide, c:\sword) so
>> i think the installer can it put to registry back...
>> (I can export an user-level registry key too...)
>>
>> What about it?
>> (If it's a dumb idea, do not hesitate, forget it ;) )
>
> I can't comment on technical details and I don't think it's a dumb idea.
> However, I dislike the idea of using Windows registry. At least the
> official CrossWire frontend has the idea of being self-contained and not
> contaminating anything outside the installation directory. We should
> follow the same idea, especially if other frontends do likewise.

I don't believe they do.  I'm rather sure that Xiphos looks for and
will by default install modules into C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Sword
or something similar, while the program is installed to C:\Program
Files (x86)\Xiphos or something similar.  Likewise I know that some
people have talked about using C:\Program Files
(x86)\CrossWire\BibleTime and similar directories under CrossWire for
each front-end, and then being able to share system-wide installations
and such from shared folders under there.  I don't know how far that
idea was taken.

As for the Windows Registry, that's the system-preferred place to keep
configuration settings like this, so it does make more sense than
trying to set an environment variable.

--Greg