[bt-devel] BT doesn't start on WinXP

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:17:45 MST 2009

Greg Hellings wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
> <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Novák Géza wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> I don't know about windows build progress, but i think i have an idea to
>>> solve the SWORD_PATH issue...
>>> I was exported the sword path's registry key, (system-wide, c:\sword) so
>>> i think the installer can it put to registry back...
>>> (I can export an user-level registry key too...)
>>>
>>> What about it?
>>> (If it's a dumb idea, do not hesitate, forget it ;) )
>>>
>> I can't comment on technical details and I don't think it's a dumb idea.
>> However, I dislike the idea of using Windows registry. At least the
>> official CrossWire frontend has the idea of being self-contained and not
>> contaminating anything outside the installation directory. We should
>> follow the same idea, especially if other frontends do likewise.
>>

> I don't believe they do.  I'm rather sure that Xiphos looks for and
> will by default install modules into C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Sword
> or something similar, while the program is installed to C:\Program
> Files (x86)\Xiphos or something similar.  Likewise I know that some
> people have talked about using C:\Program Files
> (x86)\CrossWire\BibleTime and similar directories under CrossWire for
> each front-end, and then being able to share system-wide installations
> and such from shared folders under there.  I don't know how far that
> idea was taken.
>
> As for the Windows Registry, that's the system-preferred place to keep
> configuration settings like this, so it does make more sense than
> trying to set an environment variable.
>
> --Greg
My current plan is to set the value of SWORD_PATH inside of BibleTime
for Windows so that is points at %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Sword. On Xp this is
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Sword. The Vista and Win7 path is a
little different and I don't remember it at the moment.

I also plan to set HOME inside of BibleTime for Windows to %APPDATA%
which is c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data. We will
then have a Sword subdir there.

Both of these are consistent with Xiphos so we can share modules with
it. So we will ignore SWORD_PATH or HOME set outside the program.
Controlling these vars is critical for getting the sword library to work
correctly. We will support the extra data paths that can be set in the
Bookshelf manager if the user wants other data locations.

I hope to have a new installable working version soon, perhaps tonight.
It will use the above paths.

Gary