[bt-devel] New Windows Build

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 07:10:00 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Gary Holmlund wrote:
>

>> I have created a new installable for the Windows version of BibleTime.
>> It contains the bug fixes and features that we added today (Saturday 10
>> October). It is available at:
>> http://sourcearchives.com/downloads/bibletime-2.4.0-win32.exe
>>

> Great! There are still problems, but it's good to see this going on.
>
> When I open BT the first time, it doesn't have the main toolbar. When I
> enable it, it covers the menu. I think this has been noticed earlier.

Yes, I saw the same thing. I will put it on my list to look at.
>> Other than installing it you must also set the SWORD_PATH environment
>> variable as a user variable in your control panel. You can use either of
>> the following procedures.
>>
>> 1.  set it to c:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\.sword and make the
>> .sword directory using a Command Prompt window
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2. set it to some other path and in the BibleTime Bookshelf Manager you
>> must "configure the paths where works are installed" to match the
>> SWORD_PATH.
>>
>> Test it and find any bugs it might have. I will work on a automatic
>> method for setting the SWORD_PATH next.
>>
>> Gary Holmlund
>>

> The Sword path is really the most important issue now.
>
> We should think about what parts of the Sword we install. There are no
> Sword localizations in BT package which means that Biblical books can
> have only American English names - unless the SWORD_PATH is set to an
> existing Sword installation, I guess. These things can be very confusing
> to users and developers, too, if they are reported as bugs. Therefore
> it's important to work on the compatibility between different Sword
> frontends, as we already know.
>
> I also see .sword directory in the BT installation directory. Probably
> the localizations should go there. But what happens if there is an
> existing Sword installation? Does the Bookshelf Manager work differently
> because there is the InstallMgr directory in our installation directory?
> What does it do there, anyway?
>
> And how about the Sword configuration? Should it be installed in our
> installation directory, or in SWORD_PATH?
>
> I think that if the SWORD_PATH is set, the Bookshelf Manager should
> automatically use that path for installed works, or at least add it to
> the list of paths where the works are found (yes, these are two
> different things which is quite confusing). It shouldn't be necessary
> for the user to set it manually.
>

>   Yours,
> 	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland
> 	e-mail: eekaikko at mailx.studentx.oulux.fix (with no x)

I got a great email fro Matthew Talbert describing how Xiphos does this
on Windows. For personal data they set the HOME environment variable
within the program only and only if it is not already set. Sword then
looks for $HOME/Sword or $HOME/.sword. The value of HOME is set to the
windows environment value %APPDATA% which is not the same value on all
Windows platforms, but is guaranteed to be there and writable.

For shared data they set the SWORD_PATH in the program if it is not set.
On Windows its value would be set to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Sword. This value
is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sword.

This allows for both a personal and a shared data directory. These paths
should be auto discovered in the Bookshelf Manager and setup for use.

Matthew says that both Xiphos and jsword use this same procedure, so we
would share the data with these programs.

Gary Holmlund